Friday 28 April 2017

Poetry Friday 43

Poetry Friday 43.  

Just two for you this week. Both are works in progress., so be gentle with me.

For audio click here.

The Seine
On the steps of the Seine
I waited for you.
The leaves scattered
and decomposing around me.
From the east came nothing but darkness,
and the river flowing to the west,
leaving me
in its wake.

The Aftermath
Behind swinging doors
they lurk.
The ghosts and ghouls,
witches and warlocks.
Waiting to dance,
to entertain,
to scare.
But you’ve gone,
they’ve all gone.
Now weeds grow,
the carts rust.
Echoes of laughter
haunt the haunters.


Hope you enjoyed those, I think they’ve got some potential. Maybe more next week.

1 comment:

  1. Looks like it's Blue Friday! The feelings of longing, sadness and emptiness are so palpable that you can feel them together with the poet. When I read this I thought of this word you have used a couple of times - hiraeth, but I think that maybe this famous Portuguese word 'saudade' is even better here.
    I like the way you made these awful creatures (ghosts and ghouls, witches and warlocks) an essential part of our lives. I interpret them as a range of emotions (from joy to pain or fear) without which our lives are just empty.
    Great poetry Friday. Have a good weekend too.

    ReplyDelete