Wednesday 27 July 2016

Midnight Train Part 3

For audio click here
For Part one click here, for part two click here.
The clock ticked stubbornly on the wall. It must have been an hour since Helmut had taken his stinky breath away. In that time, I’d had some more coffee and some bread and sausage, so now my breath was probably as bad as his. I sat low in the chair staring at the door, I was bored. What the hell were they doing?
The door opened, I could smell Helmut’s breath before I saw him, but this time he was not alone.
“Hello,” he said, there was no smile now. ‘This is Clive Williams from the British consul here in Berlin.”
I shrugged. I didn’t like the look of the Brit. He looked like a typical British upper class twit.
“Hello Tony,” his teeth almost knocked me out.   
“Now, I’ve just been talking to someone in Cumbrian police,” Helmut said. “And they told me, there isn’t a Chester Street in Carlisle.”
I shrugged again. It had been good while it had lasted.
“Why did you lie to us?”
I sat up a bit and looked at the two men opposite me. They looked like Little and Large.
“What you staring at?” I said to the bastard from the embassy. I wanted to punch him but knew that wasn’t an option.
“Would you like to tell me how you were on a train in West Berlin with no passport and no money?” Helmut said, repeating the words he’d used earlier. “And tell me the truth this time.” His dog breath was getting worse all the time and his stubble seemed to be growing before my very eyes. I took a deep breath and buried my head in my hands.
“I killed them,” I said through my fingers.  “I killed them. They had it coming.”
Both men scratched the back of their hands at the same time.
“Give me a cigarette,” I said, looking up. Helmut took the pack out again, I noticed it was a new one. He tapped a cigarette out and passed it to me. I lit up and took a deep drag.
“Who did you kill?” Clive asked.
“My parents. I killed them with a knife. I had to.” I took another drag and coughed and coughed until there were tears in my eyes. “I had to,” I repeated between sobs.
“Why?” Helmut asked.
“They abused me,” I said.
“Where are they now?” Clive asked.
“Stupid question. At home, where I left them I guess.”
“Give us your proper name and address then.” Clive looked agitated.
I took another drag and then made a big play of putting out the cigarette.

“Mark Gold, 12 Hotcell Street, Hereford.” Clive scribbled it down on his pad and stood up, immediately leaving the cell. Helmut slowly followed him, patting me on the shoulder before he did.
“I am sure it will all be okay,” he said and that was the last I saw of Helmut.


For the final part click here(available on the 3rd August)

No comments:

Post a Comment