Friday 11 November 2016

Poetry Friday 19

For audio click here 

Oh my, what a weird world we live in. Who would have thought we would have Donald Trump / Hilary Clinton for president.*And who would've thought when I started this in July it would last until November. 

* Delete as appropriate I am recording this in advance.


Her
1
She steams away
looking like someone I once knew.
Spread, yet prickly,
a reflection of a life unassuming.
Sometimes thoughtful,
sometimes tired,
always mysterious
always buried deep.

 2
 cross-legged she sits,
 a barrier, but
 she can’t protect herself
 from unwanted gazes.
 So she cuts off her head,
 but still she stands out in the crowd.
 An intrepid explorer
 dying to touch ground

3
Age shakes
the shapely.
What did I see in her?
More than a helping hand?
An escape, a window away.
But she’s a collector,
a contortionist,
no princess;
just a stranger on a wet autumn night.

Atheist

Sunbeams
like spotlights
illuminating the beauty of
rolling Welsh hills
in autumnal clothes.
Shaking my beliefs.
Making me question my faith.
How can there be no God
when his sun shines on
God’s own country?


Empty Gesture
The bunch of flowers
was meant to say “I’m Sorry.”
But the gesture was as transparent
as their cellophane wrap.


Join me next week for Poetry Friday 20
Please if you enjoy these stories share them with friends, family, book agents, etc.. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram :-) Thank you.  


3 comments:

  1. Oh lovely and thought provoking poetry Friday.
    The last one doesn't have 17 syllables but otherwise looks like haiku with the juxtaposition of the two images/ideas.... the middle one describes the beauty of autumn and gives hope... The first one is puzzling, but in good sense - it is full of images that are open to many interpretations. For me it shows a person who is always fleeting, ephemeral, fugitive, and full of contradicting qualities: why is she "always buried deep" but "dying to touch the ground"? Is the person described the melting pot of many different personalities or is the poet describing many people who appear in our lives but their existence only has transient and short lived meaning for us? And why the hell does she cut off her head? :-D BIG LIKE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :-)
      I think the cut of her head is metaphorical, not 100% sure what I meant. Just that she hides from the gazes like a ostrich.
      (Sorry for the late reply. Almost impossible to get google in China so just publishing my stories was enough of a struggle.)

      Delete
  2. You are welcome

    ReplyDelete