Tuesday 6 October 2015

The Good Samaritan No 2

You might recognise the beginning of this story but keep going. 
For audio click here
I’d just come out of Bute Park and was crossing North Road when I saw it, a debit card lying in the street, abandoned by its owner, ignored by passers by, basically left for dead. But I am no Levite, I could not a let a poor defenceless debit card fall into the hands of thieves and bandits. So I picked it up, looked at it and put it in the back pocket of my jeans, wondering what the hell I should do with it.
I supposed I had three options, I could destroy it making sure no one else could use it, I could hand it in to the police, or I could take it to the bank from whence it came, but I was late for class so all of that could wait.
 Actually I wasn’t late for class, I got there fifteen minutes early, I know right, how did that happen? Anyway time for a cup of tea and a bottle of water before the lecture.
I smiled at the woman as she told me I had to pay £1.95, I was just about to get my money out when a thought occurred to me, a brainwave. They had a contactless touchpad and I had a contactless card in my back pocket. One little touch and I’d have a free cup of tea and bottle of water. I couldn’t, could I? No it would be wrong, but then again surely it would be a nice reward for the good deed I was about to do later that day. No I couldn’t I thought to myself as my hand reached into my back pocket for the card.
Bleep.
‘Thanks love.’
Job done, no harm done.
I went up to class with a smile on my face and a free cup of tea in my hand. All well with the world.
After class I thought I might just get a spot of lunch before going to the police station. I ordered my Big Mac and fries and then a thought occurred to me, a brainwave, just a little spot of lunch would surely be okay, it wouldn’t come out of Lucy Martin’s bank account, the bank would cover the costs. No, it would be wrong, once was enough I thought to myself as my hand reached into my back pocket for the card.
But this time the plan didn’t work, the card was rejected, Lucy must have cancelled it. Oh well, no harm done. I’d pop it into the police station as soon as I’d polished off my meal deal. But just as I was popping the last salty fry into my mouth a shadow fell over my dinner tray. I looked up to see two boys in blue towering over me. I swallowed the chip and stared at them.
‘Um I think you better come with us sir.’ One of them said.

‘Why?’ I said, but deep down I knew. I stood up and silently followed the two officers out into the street and into the waiting police car.


1 comment:

  1. Petra Goláňová10 October 2015 at 11:25

    ' I could not a let a poor defenceless debit card fall into the hands of thieves and bandits...
    One little touch and I’d have a free cup of tea and bottle of water. I couldn’t, could I? No it would be wrong, but then again surely it would be a nice reward for the good deed I was about to do later that day. ..
    After class I thought I might just get a spot of lunch before going to the police station.'

    ReplyDelete