Thursday 13 December 2012

The Boy with no Nouns





Welcome to my um, the thing I live. This might be harder than I imagined but I want to tell my thing, the thing you tell. You see I can think as well as all of you but what I can’t do is name things. I don’t know how to. Well, I do know how to but somehow the thing I think with and the thing I speak with don’t communicate very well and things get lost.
Do you ever play a thingy where you have to describe a thing without using the thing it is called. Do you know it? Well that is what I have to do with everything. I can do abstract things like sadness, and I know things like doobry, thingamajig, and whatsit. I can even use anything or someone, but I can’t use concrete hoojamaflips. It’s weird because I know some whatsits are doing whatsits as well as naming whatsits. I can use it as a doing whatsit but then don't know it as a naming whatsit in the very next thing. I understand them, if you use them it is fine and I can think them, but I can’t get them out of the thing I speak with.
I have read about it, apparently I am not the only one who has this. There are this many of us in the whole thing we live on.
When I was educated it was terrible. They used to say I was as slow as that slow thing or that I forgot things like a swimming thing. I used to get upset; they called me stupid but I am not stupid. If you can’t walk, you can use a thingamabob to help you, they can see you are different and they help you. But my doodaa is is not like that, it’s invisible. They can’t see it, so they assume I am thick.
But I survive. Things and things may break my things but things can never hurt me, if you know what I mean; and you do don’t you? If you are patient and willing to listen differently, I am perfectly understandable.
So a thingy becomes a thing you pay with and a thingy becomes a thing that makes you warm and you light it. Usually I can point to the thing and that helps too. It is only challenging when you need to use another thingummy to describe a thingy. If I say it is something that you shoot from a thing, you’d not know what I mean. So then I have to draw it, or mime it. All in all it is not easy, but it no longer makes me sad and I am glad I have had this whatsit to record this thing and upload it here so I can tell you all about me and my strange thing you live. 

Confused? Try listening to it instead. 

1 comment: