Sunday 23 June 2013

False Starts


Today as a bonus sunday post are 5 false starts, 5 stories I started but never finished.

1. Going nowhere.
‘Whatever happened to Leon?’
Lucy smiled, she’d liked Leon, he was cute he had the daftest smile she’d ever seen. In fact it was the smile that had won her heart, no that was the wrong word, he’d never won her heart, just her affections for a few weeks.
‘It didn’t work out, he was too nice, too keen, too clever, had to get rid of him.’

2. Unrequited 
‘In the end it took me a dictionary, to find out the meaning of unrequited.’ I sang along with Billy as I always did, how many years was it now since I first discovered that song and those magical words. I reckon I was 15 or 16 and yes I had needed a dictionary to find out the meaning.
of love, not returned by the person that you love.
Such a beautiful word, such a noble gesture. Did the love of that song shape my life? Did I set out for unrequited love so I could play believe the song was about me?

3. What idea?
I first got the idea when I was sitting alone on the Starbucks in Cardiff Bay. As usual the rain was lashing down and the bank holiday day trippers were crowded into the coffee shop trying to unfreeze their faces and dry themselves out. The weather forecasters had been wrong and the lovely spring bank holiday promised had turned into a waterlogged, soggy, miserable day.

4. Longest day 

The airport smelt of feet, foul stinky feet. Cohen wrinkled his nose. He hoped it wasn’t his feet he could smell but he couldn’t rule it out entirely. He was tired, dehydrated and longed for a shower or even better a bath. If all went to plan, 10 more minutes and they would board, 2 more hours and he’d be unlocking his front door.  It was 26 hours since he’d checkout out of his hotel and those 26 hours had been the longest day of his life. Because the direction he was travelling it, it still was the same day.

5 Not Romantic Optimistic 
Even when watching grease as a 9 year old boy I thought to myself... she's stranded you at the drive in - well at least you can watch the movie in peace without her asking daft questions. 





No comments:

Post a Comment