Saturday 29 June 2013

Saturday Special - Spain Memories


I wrote this and liked it so thought I'd share it. Hope you like it. 

One of my first awarenesses of Spain was going to our local airport near Rhoose to collect my Nana and Grampy returning from one of many jaunts abroad. My sisters and I would wait excitedly for them to come through the magic sliding doors while my dad explored the airport shop probably looking for competitions or discarded receipts, (don’t ask).
My grandparents would come through looking bronzed and relaxed, carrying old battered suitcases that we knew would have presents in for us.
But weirdly it is not my grandparents arrival that sticks in my brain but the other holiday makers coming back from maybe their first taste of Spain sun.  Tanned women with bleached hair carrying bags full of booze and fags would follow lobster pink men still wearing their Bermuda shorts despite the cold Cardiff climate,  sporting huge grins on their faces, wearing massive sombreros, and clutching big fuck-off donkeys under their arms. To a wide-eyed 7-year-old boy it felt like they’d come back from a magical faraway world, I doubt I’d be quite so impressed now. 

1 comment:

  1. a great piece of literature.... cheers

    ReplyDelete