Friday 20 September 2013

The Visit (part 2)


This is part 2 of the Visit, for part 1 click here.

I tell you I wasn’t expecting that, I stepped out of the gates into the fresh air and saw him standing there leaning against the wall, wearing the same suit as before, his hands sunk in its pockets. I knew the missus wouldn’t be here to meet me but I certainly didn’t imagine seeing my victim.

As soon as he saw me he stepped out to incept my path. This guy really needs to move on with his life, I thought to myself. It had been 6 months since we’d met last time, over 9 since out first encounter, surely time enough to build a bridge and get over it.

He smiled and said hello. There was nothing I could do to avoid him so I nodded a reply.
‘Fancy a coffee?’ he asked.
‘You buying?’
‘Yeah why not?’
I had nothing better to do and a free coffee is a free coffee, I’d see if I could get a bacon sandwich out of it too.
We walked in silence for a few minutes, it soon became clear his idea of a coffee and mine were on different planets. I’d envisaged a nice greasy café but he was a Starbucks man, I wasn't going to get a bacon sandwich in there.

We drank our lattes and made awkward idle chatter. I was trying to read him, what did he want, was he really such a do-gooder that he would meet his attacker from prison? It made no sense to me. Maybe he was lonely and he needed friends but why choose a scoundrel like me. He certainly seemed to take an age over his coffee. I was desperate to get away but I felt as he was paying I should hang around till he had finished.
Finally he spooned the last dregs of froth into his mouth and made the move to go.
‘We should do this again.’ he said as he opened the door to let me out of the coffee shop.
It was then I discovered his motivation. I felt the blade puncture my skin, felt the stinging pain and the warmth  as my blood spread across my shirt. I dropped to my knees and watched him walk away.



Prison’s not so bad. I’m in one of these new places, so I’ve got a cell to myself, no prison’s not so bad it’s the bloody do-gooders that annoy me. I smiled as ‘my victim’ entered the room. He looked like he belonged here more than I did. I sat and appraised him waiting for the obvious question. 

1 comment:

  1. this reminds me another true story..a mix of Vinny and The visit.. sent to you by email. hope you like it ;-)

    ReplyDelete