Tuesday 16 September 2014

Scenes from Prague - Portraits.


A painter tries to paint portraits with their brush I try to do it with my words. Here are three portraits from my scenes from Prague Series. 


The Lips
She had lips that were made to be read, beautifully thick lips that enunciated every word clearly, clean white teeth and a tongue that could have been x-rated. She spoke with a passion, her hands conducting her words, her eyes dancing to the music she made. Her colleague, friend, whatever, nodded along, occasionally getting a word in when the lips paused long enough to let her. I was too far away to hear her words but I was still engrossed in the conversation. It may have been the most mundane conversation ever, she could have been discussing the latest developments in the Czech equivalent of Eastenders. But I imagined she was discussing solutions to the global food crisis or peace in Ukraine, something suitably grand to match the elegant beauty.

The Twins
At first glance I thought they were twins* so similar were they, if not twins then at least brother and sister, they had the same shape face, the same nose and the same cartoon smile stretched across their face. Both fair haired, both mid twenties, both piercing blue eyes. But then she lent forward and kissed his forehead, that was not a familiar kiss but one filled with passion, lust, the promise of something more. As she ran her fingers through his hair, I realised I had to reasses my earlier conclusion. No way could these two be brother and sister unless there was something very strange, very strange indeed going on.
*I know that technically boy and girl twins are just brother and sister, i’ve used a but of poetic license here. 

The Smile
Her face was at it's most beautiful at the split second before she smiled. When the brain had made up its mind to fire the synapses sending the message to the muscle to form the smile. The smile itself was stunning but there was something in that pre-smile state that epitomised beauty to me. Was it the way the eyes seemed to catch the smile first and sparkle, or the relaxation of the muscles to make a perfectly natural face or maybe it was just my imagination. Whatever it was, I knew that that for me was the very essence of beauty.

2 comments: