Wednesday 26 March 2014

What is that?



Do you remember when fire alarms just used to be a bell, a loud bell but a pleasant enough sound? Why did they change it to the awful blearing sirens they have now? So can you guess what shook me from my reverie while I was showering in my hotel room this morning? 
What do you do when the fire alarm goes off and you’re in the shower? Do you just pretend nothing is happening, hope it’s a false alarm? Or do you get out, get dressed and then go downstairs?  Or do just go downstairs immediately with a towel around your middle?
What did I look like standing outside with shampoo in my hair, jeans on but not much else? Did I look an idiot? What did the mother say to her daughter who was pointing at me like I was some kind of freak?
And do you know why the alarm was set off? Why I was standing outside shivering?  Would you like me to tell you?
Wouldn’t it be a good idea if you are going to light candles on a birthday cake in a hotel room, to check with someone that the smoke detectors are not overly sensitive? What harm would it do to think things through a little bit? Why don’t people take a bit of time to think about the consequences of their actions instead of just doing things?
But what really gets me is, why, if the staff knew what caused the false alarm, didn’t they let us back in? Why did we have to wait for the fire brigade to come? Why did we have to stand out there in the cold? And why did that fireman just wink at me?

This is one of my experimental stories, did you notice what it was? I’ll post the answer in the comments later, shall I?





9 comments:

  1. All the sentencess are questions and you don't even notice at first! Great:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's gender neutral. The 'middle' is not the same thing with males and females, the fireman could be cheerful and gay. It contains 3 adverbials only overly-degree, immediately-time, really - intensifier all of them somewhere around the adverbials of manner but not really hitting them (because the fireman forgot the manners?). Interrogative form is deliberately misleading?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Or it is all question forms.

    ReplyDelete
  4. or it is all question forms ??? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry if I kept digging deeper, the simplest are the most obvious truths?

    ReplyDelete
  6. lovely story ... and i think this is how some poeple actually tell you stories by asking questions and waiting for confirmation:)
    BTW I tried to add a comment in Furtive Glance Part 4 but what I keep getting is a blank screen. I wanted to say that the accent is soooo cute:):)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don’t know what is wrong with comments on FG4 :)

    ReplyDelete