Thursday 17 April 2014

The Furtive Glance part 6



This is part four of the Furtive Glance for part one click here and part two click here and part three here and part four here and of course part 5 here


I sat in Parker’s still confused by the events of the day, Id known something was fishy, but Id not expected this? I had to admit the dame had pulled the wool over my eyes, she was a good actress, she deserved an Oscar. I was watching the door hoping she'd show. Shed said shed find me, well now it was time. I didn't play games, and even if the client paid me, I still didnt play along. I touched my face, it was still tender from the smack I’d taken earlier in the day,  I put the cold glass against my head to sooth the pain and waited. 

Finally the dame showed up, her face drawn with stress, her eyes still mysterious, it was impossible to hate her for long, so I had to act quick. 
‘Any news?’ she said. 
‘There might be.’ I replied coldly. 
‘Tell me, please Mr Stanley.’ Her voice sounded desperate, she was a great actor.
‘Why don’t you tell me?’ I said in my best no nonsense voice. She looked confused.
‘The Grand Hotel?’ I left the words to percolate in her mind. She hesitated, unsure if to come clean. I stared at her, hoping the confession would come soon, otherwise those eyes might just win me over.
‘I saw you lady, now stop playing games,’ I said eventually.  Her face cracked, she smiled, the tension washed away. 
‘Ok, you saw me, so what?’
‘What's going on lady?  Why did you kidnap your own son?' 
‘I didn’t Mr Stanley, you have to believe me. Hristov did the kidnapping but luckily his mother is a kinder woman than he is. She knows a boy needs his mother. She contacted me immediately.’ 
‘So why employ me?’
‘Because without you then that bastard will know someone has betrayed him.’ Her voice was business-like, cold. ‘He’s got friends in the police, hell know who grassed him.’ I thought about it for a moment. It made sense, I think.
‘So you even got the girl to give me the lead?’ I asked. 
‘What girl?’ the broad asked. She was either acting to save the porcelain neck or she really was clueless. I decided to leave it.
‘So what now?’
She pushed another envelope of money in my direction.

‘Call the police, tip them off and then this is yours.’ She said, not a hint of emotion in her voice.
I stood up and headed to the payphone in the corner of the bar. Id got this far, I’d may as well take the money and run. 

6 comments:

  1. Men are so easily manipulated:) Like children:):)
    By the way: What girl?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What girl? The one who tipped Archer off in part 5. The one with the porcelain neck.

      Delete
  2. i thought she was much older for some reason, not "girl" :):)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess just a figure of speech from Archer - he didn’t want to mix up the girl with the dame / broad :-)

      Delete
  3. and i have also assumed that this woman with the porcelain neck was the part of the lady's plan and the lady must have known about this conversation... :) but i don't know why i assumed this:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well yes so did Archer? But he was wrong :-) Maybe we will meet the woman with the porcelain neck again in the future.

      Delete