Thursday 25 July 2013

None the wiser


‘Look at you sitting there like an some kind of arrogant sex god.’
The words hung in the awkward silence. Everyone around the table tried to process them and decipher what they meant. Even those involved in other conversations stopped mid word and looked at me wondering what my response would be.
My accuser was a bit of a loose cannon, a friend of a friend who’d joined us for the first time tonight and had spent the evening trying  just that little bit too hard to ingratiate herself with us. 
We’d already worked out that she engaged her mouth long before she engaged her brain... but this was probably the weirdest comment of the night.
It was such a strange insult, if indeed it was an insult.
Because to me it seemed a bit like a compliment, I mean who wouldn’t want to be called a sex god? And surely a sex god by definition is arrogant. So what's the harm in that?
So what did she mean? She barely knew me but apparently I was giving off the vibe of a sex god, which would be the last thing anyone who did know me would call me.
‘What does that mean?’ It wasn’t me that spoke, it was Kirsty, my best friend.
‘Well look at him?’
Everyone around the table did as they were told and turned their eyes towards me.
‘Sitting there like that.’
Like what? was the question on anyone’s lips. A question that would never be answered because no one dared to ask. 
A second, then another ticked by then she just laughed, took a sip of beer and with a breezy 'anyway' changed the subject, leaving us all none the wiser. 

1 comment:

  1. hehe... last week, my husband, who is younger than me, said " oh, you know, this song is even older than you" (talking about When my guitar gently weeps" by the Beatles)... and I felt quite awful:):) bleee

    ReplyDelete