Tuesday 23 July 2013

What's in a name?


Jesus, my life is ruined, they’ve just announced it, the name of that bloody royal baby that everyone’s been blabbiting on about for weeks. The official announcement read that they wanted something that reflected the royal couple’s association with Wales. So they could have chosen Ieuen, Carwyn, Rhys, but no no no, they had to choose Gareth.
Having a name like Gareth is interesting, in Wales it’s common as muck, everyone knows it but thanks to a certain Mr Edwards everyone is predisposed to like it, which means they are predisposed to like you for a while too. In the rest of the UK it is a bit quirky, different, you don’t meet many Gareths, so it’s nice to have the opposite of the Welsh experience. Outside of the UK it is really different. In the same way as we have stereotypical French or Spanish names, Jean-Pierre, Jaun etc they are expecting Andrews Edwards or Davids from the UK so Gareth really stands out. Recently I have noticed that some people have been saying ‘like Gareth Bale’ but that’s okay cos he’s Welsh and he’s cool.
But now, now whenever I say ‘My name’s Gareth’ the reply is going to be, ‘Oh like the prince.’ How I'm going to love that. ‘I HAD IT FIRST.’ I’ll shout, 'the little bastard is like me, not me like him.'  


4 comments:

  1. Gareth - very positive connotations for me with this name:) As for the prince, I read somewhere today:):
    "It's a boy!" Great thing to yell outside St Mary's hospital. Horrible thing to yell in a Thai brothel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. .. but both gossip press and yellow press could hurt somebody.. so if the yell is great or horrible depends on the columnist and the audience.
    Somebody seems upset even when the name is so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok. The script has been written. We'll see if the director accepts it :-))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Grumpy sweet gareth.. Sounds good. Accept it!

    brothel's madame





    ReplyDelete