Wednesday 20 November 2013

Camera Phones





‘Looks like you had a good time at Luca's party on Saturday?’
‘How do you know I went to Lucas's party?’
‘The magic of the internet my friend, the magic of the internet.’ Johnny rocked back in his chair.
‘Someone mentioned me did they?’
‘Better than that mate,’ Johnny got out his phone, ‘you were tagged.’ He turned his phone so Steve could see a photo of himself gurning drunkenly into a camera. 
‘Bloody hell I bet it was Julie wasn't it?’ Johnny nodded, ‘bloody Julie she was buzzing round all night with that bloody phone.’
‘She was just having fun.’ Johnny interjected trying to nip the rant in the bud.
‘Fun for her maybe, but killing the joy for the rest of us. I tell you, camera phones are the devil incarnate, no actually they are like a modern day god, the all seeing eye, omnipotent, omnipresence.

I just want to enjoy myself, live for the moment, I don’t want to be reminded continuously of my drunkenness by people who weren't even there.’
Steve was really flowing now.
‘I remember the days when you could have as many drunken antics as you like and deny all knowledge of it the next day? Deny you'd been singing Danny Boy loudly and tunelessly, deny you’d been dancing to Abba’s Dancing Queen with the grace of a capsized woodlouse. And, because there was no one there with a camera phone no one would ever question your version of events.’ Steve said.
‘What goes on tour, stays on tour.’ Johnny lamented.
‘Exactly,’ agreed Steve ‘but not anymore, what goes on tour gets plastered all over Instagram or Facebook for every Tom, Dick and boss to see.’
For once Johnny was in total agreement with his old friend but concerned about Steve's blood pressure decided to defuse the situation.
‘Well, I won’t take photos of you tonight I promise,’ he smiled ‘do you want another beer.’
Steve nodded holding out his empty glass and Johnny headed to the bar. 

1 comment:

  1. I don't know how to explain to you this brings to me some 'connections and metaphors' like: Newcomb's paradox: How do you play a game against an omniscient opponent?..'Retrocausality can occur, If a person truly knows the future, and that knowledge affects his or her actions, then events in the future will be causing effects in the past'..

    ReplyDelete