Tuesday 16 December 2014

The Alarm Call



I was slipping out of the shop with the sweater I was stealing safely under my coat. I was just about to relax when the alarm rang. It was a harsh, ugly noise, designed to scare and discombobulate and it did the job beautifully.
'What the...?'
It took me a while to realise it was my morning wake up call and not a shop security system that was damaging my eardrums.
I opened a groggy eye and checked the time. 5.30 am? Who the hell had set my alarm for 5.30? Was someone having a laugh? Was Siri being mischievous? This new phone had more bugs than the CIA. I turned the alarm off, pulled the duvet close around me and snuggly drifted back to the land of nod and my shoplifting adventures. 

I looked at my phone, 9.30. I was in that delicious state of waking up naturally on a Sunday morning, knowing that nothing lay ahead of me. I was in a blissful state still groggy, but warm and well rested. Was there a better state to be in? Even the post sex glow couldn’t beat this. But there was a seed of doubt in the back of my mind; something that disturbed the luxury of a Sunday Morning lie in. Something there but I couldn’t quite put my finger on it. Was it my shoplifting dreams? Quite a disturbing recurring dream that didn’t reflect my normal life. What would a psychologist say about a 44-year-old, clean living teacher having dreams of a life of petty crime? Was it that weird alarm call at 5.30? I really needed to pop into the Apple Store and see if I could get some those bugs exterminated. Or was it the fact that my flight was due to take off in just 15 minutes?

1 comment:

  1. Great Fortune Teller Freuda16 December 2014 at 23:37

    I think that this dream smbolizes your craving for something that is out of your reach. It is so acute that it makes you unhappy and desperate enough to steal. You'd better start doing something to get what you want. Or alternatively:
    A. You have been using the Dreamcatcher or a somilar dream app
    B. You have been drinking
    C. You have been taking drugs
    D. You have been sleepwalking
    100 pounds please:-)

    ReplyDelete