Wednesday 17 December 2014

So why did you have to be so nasty?




Prague seemed busier than usual and that is saying something. There are often weekends where I am convinced the town is full to capacity. But this wasn’t a weekend and it didn’t seem to be lost tourists clogging the pavements of the Czech capital, these were locals. As I turned on to Wenceslas Square I saw why things seemed so busy. The square was jam packed with protestors. Banners and placards being waved, slogans shouted. The Czechs can be a docile lot but when something really upsets them they do come out in force.
‘What’s this about then?’ I asked one of the protestors.
‘Police brutality and freedom of speech.’ The woman said with a smile.
‘Really?’
‘Yes there was a march in Ostrava last weekend, but the Police banned it, and then when it happened, they broke it up with unnecessary force. Three people are still in hospital with injuries, one life-threatening.’
‘That’s terrible.’ I said.
‘So join us.’ The woman had such a pretty smile that I thought hey what the hell, what harm could it do to spend half an hour with this woman practising my Czech and protesting against the police? The banners and slogans were all foreign to me but the girl was good company and this seemed like fun. She really had taken a liking to my bald head asking me about how I shaved it and when I last did it. She even touched it a few times smiling that smile as she did so.
To cut a long story short our mutual attraction soon became more attractive than the march. We disappeared away from the crowd and slipped into a bar.

It was my ringing phone rather than my alarm clock that roused me. The pretty Lucie moaned gently next to me, her long blonde hair straggled across her face. I picked up my call.
‘Hello.’
‘Hi Gareth, it’s Marek, can you come to my office as soon as you get to work please.’
‘No problem.’ I said cheerily but there was something about Marek’s voice that told me this was not going to be a pleasant conversation.

I bounced to work, the night had been lovely and I had a promise to meet Lucie again later that day. She was exactly my type, tall, slim, blonde hair, blue eyes and that sexy come to bed smile. This one’s a keeper I thought to myself.
I noticed as I walked into the office people were giving me funny looks but they were probably not used to seeing me in my post sex state; let’s face it, it didn’t happen often.
I knocked Marek’s door and went in.
‘Hi boss’ I said cheerily, but I was met with a terse. ‘Sit down.’
‘Explain.’ He said handing a newspaper over to me.
There was my photo on the front page. Me, Lucie and about 100 other people with shinny bald heads. Above me was the headline  - Neo Nazi’s protest police brutality.
I looked at it, rubbed my eyes then looked at it again. I was shocked. I obviously should have asked Lucie more questions, but how had I not noticed all the Nazi’s around me. To make it worse I was wearing my company branded coat, the logo clear for everyone to see.
‘I think we’re going to have to let you go.’ Marek said, before I could get any explanation out.

No comments:

Post a Comment