Monday 21 March 2016

World Poetry Day

As today is world poetry day, I thought I would use it as an excuse to publish some more of my poems. 
For audio click here.

I might have got into a little argument with the anti-abortion campaigners on St Mary's Street the other day. This poem came out of the last thing she said to me.


The anti-abortionist 
She said she’d prey for my soul;
not once, or twice, but
every day for the rest of her life.
Every day for the rest of her life
she’d remember my angry face and
ask her god to save my soul.
As my teacher used to say:

it’s your own time you’re wasting.

The next poem is a experimental poem. It is a pantoum, which we were encouraged to write in one of my classes. 

final inactivity
reaping the dubious reward
while watching in horror.
as the prophecies of doom
become realities of doom.

watching in horror.
as denial, laziness, ignorance and greed
become realities of doom,
but still you don’t move.

as denial, laziness, ignorance and greed
override the toils of our fathers
still you don’t move
with final inactivity.

overriding the toils of our fathers
the prophecies of doom,
with final inactivity,
are reaping their dubious rewards.



Funfair
I went to Barry Island
to ride the log flume 
and the ferris wheel,
but the fairground only
had ghost trains.

Two Haiku

The Eyes
the eyes ask questions
that the mouth daren’t. Deducing

the truth from silence.

The Frog in Me
Sitting watching you
aware of the danger but
willing to risk it.

For more of my poetry click here here,  herehere or here

No comments:

Post a Comment