Wednesday 31 May 2017

Confession

For audio click here

“Thank you for your warm welcome. Gosh, this is hard, isn’t it? Let me see, um. My friend Barbora there suggested I came here did because it helps her so much. I didn’t want to come but she talked me in to it. It all started about seven or eight years ago. I felt so lost and confused. I knew I had to get out of the difficult relationship I was in. It had got stale, the trust had gone, it seemed to be one war after another, one financial crisis after another. Trouble was, I didn’t know where to turn, how to get help. Anyway, I’d never done it before but this man in a nice suit suggested it and well he had a nice smile and he made me feel good about myself. So, one day I tried it and you know what, it didn’t feel that bad. I mean it wasn’t good either and I still ran home and had a shower straight away, but the world didn’t change, no one died. Of course, I didn’t tell anyone, my parents would be horrified, but I was okay with it. The next few years were okay. Not as bad as my friends said they would be. I mean I could see there was less money and that might have been because of my actions, but we were getting by, doing fine. So, I kept doing it, whenever the chance arose and I suppose it became a habit, my little secret. I know it’s bad for me, I know it will end in tears but I just can’t help it and I’m sure I’ll do it again. I can see from the looks in your eyes and from the stories I’ve heard you’re all in the same boat as me. It’s nice to be among people who understand, who’ve experienced it. So, I am willing to stand here and say it. My name’s Elaine Smith, and I vote Conservative.” 

This idea was inspired by the Guardian headline, see below. I just wondered if there was a self-help group for the poor selfish loves. 

No comments:

Post a Comment